Friday, May 8, 2009

American Wedding or Japanese Wedding?


Two weeks ago, I had a great opportunity to visit my boyfriend's best friend wedding ceremony. It was my first formal American ceremony here in the U.S. I was panicked....because I did not know their customs very well. I had to ask my boyfriend everything from what 'a best man and bridemaids' are, what I am supposed to wear, etc.

Today, in Japan, many young people tend to celebrate their marriage with Western style wedding ceremony at a Christian church, wearing a white dress and black tuxedo, and exchanging the rings. Some still prefer traditional religious ways such as wearing kimono and ceremony at a shinto shrine.
If you are invited to a Japanese wedding ceremony....
1. bring cash as a gift
You are expected to bring cash as a gift enclosed in a special envelop called 'syugi bukuro'.
2. do not bring a guest
You are invited individually so you cannot bring any guest with you.
3. dress formally
Female guests usually wear dresses, suits, or kimono, and male guests wear black formal suits.

3 comments:

  1. How many times did the bride change clothes at the wedding you attended? At the one Japanese wedding I've attended (in Japan), the bride had 3 outfits - a kimono, a white Western wedding dress, and a formal kind of Western dress. Do you know anything about wearing pearls in Japanese culture? I think you're only supposed to wear them for funerals. I could be remembering that wrong, though. Should check about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can wear pearls fow weddings too. Pearls are used in any formal events such as funeral, weddings,and parties. But it is true that more people wear pearls for funerals than weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification, Tamago!

    ReplyDelete