Monday, June 1, 2009

Annual Jazz and Reggae Live @ UCLA




This is my favorite annual event in May. This live is held on Memorial Day weekend for two days, Jazz live on Sunday and Reggae live on Monday. I usually attend the reggae day but this year I tried the Jazz day because my favorite singer, Erikah Badu was coming on the day! I have loved her since I was a college student in Japan. She was very popular at that time. It was the time many Japanese young people started to listen to Hiphop, R&B, and Reggae music importred from the US. When her album came out I ran into the record shop with a long ethnic dress like she dressed. I tried to copy everything about her...wrapped my hair with a scarf and got curly hair and braids. I wanted to be like her because she was very unique and had her own world. I was kind of funny look with Erikah badu style but I really enjoyed it! Anyway, this time I was not wearing any ethnic dress and scarf and she did not dress like that either.... she still has her own style though.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry that I missed this event as I love jazz, reggae, and Erikah Badu, Did this take place in Long Beach? CSULB has a wonderful jazz festival every year. It's interesting to me how music from this country is loved in other countries. Music is an international language. I enjoy many singers from Africa, South America, and the Middle East even though I don't understand the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. It was held on UCLA campus. It is true that music is an international communication!

    ReplyDelete